Embreeville Historic District, Newlin Township, Chester County, PA. It is situated on the east and west banks of the West Branch Brandywine River, was listed on National Register of Historic Places in 1985, Its 12 principal buildings are clustered in two groups and separated by the river.
Glen Hall wooden covered bridge and Hall railroad station. They are now part of the ChesLen Preserve. The bridge foundation can still be seen from Brandywine Drive. Glen Hall Road used to be a through-road crossing the western branch of the Brandywine at the Bridge which brought traffic from Unionville Wawaset Road to Brandywine Drive.
The Harlan House and the Mason-Dixon Line By Michele Lassaux-Harlan published in The Harlan Record, No. 43 Fall 2013
Hayes Homestead, a/k/a Green Lawn Farm, Newlin Township, Chester County, PA. The original two story log structure was built about 1770. A stone kitchen addition was added about 1799 and two-story frame addition in 1882. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1985.
Hayes Mill House, Newlin Township, Chester County, PA. It was built about 1780 and is located nearly the Star Gazers's Stone. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1985.
Jacob Hayes House, Newlin Township, Chester County, PA. It was built in 1841 and is located next to the Hayes Homestead and near to the Hayes Mill House. It is a two-story, stuccoed stone dwelling in a Federal / Greek Revival style. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1985.
Mountain Meadow Farm, Newlin Township, Chester County, PA. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1985. The house was built about 1800 and is in the Georgian style. A rear addition was added in 1951.
The stone and frame bank barn was built about 1860.
Schools in Newlin Township, Chester County, PA. There were five public one room schoolhouses attended by Newlin Township residents in the 19th century. Four were located in Newlin Township: the Oak Hill School; the Embreeville School; the Spruce Grove School; and the Green Valley School. The Fairville School was located in West Bradford Township but the water supply was in Newlin Township. For a number of years the two townships operated the Fairville School on alternating basis. By the time the Unionville Joint Consolidated School opened in 1923 only four were still in operation. Donald McKay discusses the history of the schools at Rediscovering Rural Unionville-Chaddsford.
Spruce Grove School, Newlin Township, Chester County, PA. The one room school was built in 1839. It is now a private residence. Also on the property is a stone abutment for a suspension bridge.
The Star Gazers' Stone, Newlin Township, Chester County, PA. It is located at the former Harlan farm and marks the site of a temporary observatory established in January 1764 by Charles Mason and Jeremiah Dixon which they used in their survey of what later became known as the Mason-Dixon Line. The Natural Lands Trust now owns the Star Gazer's stone as part of its 1,263 acre ChesLen Preserve.
Trimbleville is situated along the Brandywine's West Branch. Its history includes settlement and occupation by a Quaker family, operation of a mill and a five-generation family farm and a role in the 1777 Battle of Brandywine. On September 11, 1777, more than 12,000 British troops advancing toward Chadds Ford under Generals Howe and Cornwallis crossed Trimble's Ford and marched to fight in the legendary Battle of Brandywine in Birmingham.
House at Upper Laurel Iron Works, Newlin Township, Chester County, PA. This two-story, stone banked dwelling with a gable roof was built about 1872 and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1985.
Joseph Young House, Newlin Township, Chester County, PA. The Georgian/Federal style fieldstone house was built in 1835, Also on the property are a banked milk house, smokehouse and a four seat Gothic style outhouse. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1985.
Update to the APBB Survey - Appendix B Historic Resources Inventory.
Wilmington and Brandywine Railroad Company/Wilmington and Reading Railroad Company/Wilmington and Northern Railroad. It followed the Brandywine and began life on March 5, 1861, as the Wilmington and Brandywine Railroad Company. It connected the the various industrial plants located along Brandywine Creek with other railroads leading to the west and to the anthracite coal regions. Stations included Marshall's Station,(later Northbrook), Hall's Station, Embreeville Station, Laurel Station, and Mortonville Station. The line is controlled today by East Penn Railroad, LLC and connects to Coatesville in the north to Elsmere in the south.
ChesLen Preserve. The 1,263-acre ChesLen Preserve, one of the largest private nature preserves in southeastern Pennsylvania, features sweeping agricultural fields, densely wooded stream corridors and rare serpentine barrens. The Department of Conservation and Natural Resources designated the Unionville Barrens as a “Pennsylvania Wild Plant Sanctuary.” Located within the Preserve is the Star Gazers' Stone (accessible from a parking area at the northern end of the property) and a small cemetery that is a remnant of the Chester County Poorhouse which was built in 1798 and was a place of refuge for orphans and indigent adults. ChesLen Preserve was once part of a 17,000-acre tract owned by the legendary Texas-based King Ranch. ChesLen's agricultural past includes sod farming and mushroom production.